Open Online Course
This online drumming course (MOOC) features a YouTube channel hosting 100+ videos accumulating 6.5 million views and 45,000 subscribers, and a website hosting hundreds of play-along audio tracks, digital sheet music, course guides, educational articles and discussion forums.
This content has been used in schools around the world, by private teachers and self-taught drummers from a wide variety of backgrounds. Language is kept simple and easy to translate. Videos are filmed from the perspective of the drummer and presented as guided practice.
You’ll find examples of micro-learning, full-fledged courses with clear objectives and assessments, a moderated community, and an array of supporting content.
Online music lessons are convenient, self-paced and affordable. Learners have access to world class musicians from the comfort of their homes. No driving, traffic, parking, scheduling, waiting, or other inconveniences.
To compete as a local private music teacher, I needed to offer all of the benefits of online learning with the added support of private instruction.
In 2011, inspired by Khan Academy, I started building an open online course for drummers. This has been an opportunity to build my private teaching business while helping those who don’t have access to a teacher.
The content is a reference library from which weekly practice plans can be constructed. This takes advantage of flipped and blended learning approaches. Students can learn at home and practice with videos, audio tracks and digital sheet music, then submit video or meet in person for feedback.
Development is guided by data from YouTube, Google Analytics, WordPress/Jetpack, community feedback and testing in a blended learning environment.
- Articulate 360
- Final Cut Pro (video)
- Logic Pro (audio)
- Avid Sibelius (digital sheet music)
- Amazon AWS S3 (hosting and delivery)
- Adobe Illustrator (logos and graphics)
- Adobe Photoshop (image editing)
- WordPress (content management and data)
- HTML/CSS/JS (customization of web content)
- YouTube (hosting, delivery and data)
- Google Analytics (data)
- Cannon Rebel T3i digital SLR camera (video)
- Cannon Vixia HF digital camcorder (video)
- Neumann TLM 103 microphone (audio)
- Shure KSM 32 microphones (audio)
- Shure SM57 microphone (audio)
- Mackie Onyx Blackbird digital audio interface (audio)
- Apogee Duet digital audio interface (audio)